ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Paramount Asking States For $1.9B To Cover Cost Of Delayed Warner Bros. Merger

Paramount Asking States For $1.9B To Cover Cost Of Delayed Warner Bros. Merger

Caroline WilburnTue, August 18, 2026 at 12:05 AM UTC

0

Like this article? Keep independent journalism alive. Support HuffPost.

Paramount is seeking more than a billion dollars from opponents who have sued to block its merger with Warner Bros., asking them to cover any costs caused by the delay.

A federal judge temporarily halted the merger last month and set a March trial date after a coalition of 12 state attorneys general, led by California, and the Writers Guild of America sued to block the deal, arguing it violated anti-trust laws.

Politics: 'I Can Leave': Right-Wing Host Rage Quits On Debater Who Challenged His '********'

Advertisement

In a new court filing, Paramount asked a federal judge to require the opposing groups to post a $1.88 billion bond that would be paid out to the studio if the deal fails.

As part of the acquisition deal, Paramount promised Warner Bros. stakeholders it would pay them $650 million in ticking fees every quarter if the merger doesn’t close by Oct. 1. Lawyers for the company said the studio could lose $1.3 billion in ticking fees alone by the time the trial concludes.

But California Attorney General Rob Bonta slammed the request as bogus, adding that the judge has already rejected the idea in earlier court filings and is expected to uphold that decision.

“They don’t have any legitimate claim,” he told CNN’s Jim Sciutto on Monday. “Honestly, it reeks of desperation.”

Political Updates -

Donald Trump Proudly Showed Off A Glowing Headline. There Was Just 1 Awkward Catch.

Donald Trump Absolutely Loses It With Fox News Anchor

One Of Trump’s Very Closest Aides Is Now Under A Microscope

Read the original on HuffPost

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Money”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.