ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Iran live updates: Tehran denies responsibility for new missile attack on UAE

Iran live updates: Tehran denies responsibility for new missile attack on UAE

Wed, August 19, 2026 at 6:43 AM UTC

2.9K

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations in June aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange strikes, with the strategic Strait of Hormuz the primary flashpoint.

Latest Developments

Aug 19, 2:43 AMRubio speaks with UAE national security adviser after alleged missile attack

Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke by phone on Tuesday with the United Arab Emirates' national security adviser Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed Al Nahyan, after Abu Dhabi accused Iran of launching a new missile attack on the Gulf country -- one that Tehran denied responsibility for.A statement from the State Department's Principal Deputy Spokesperson Tommy Pigott said that the two officials "discussed a number of regional security issues, including Lebanon, as well as continued U.S.-UAE coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks.""Secretary Rubio underscored the importance of freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz," Pigott said.-ABC News' Shannon K. Kingston

Aug 18, 5:19 PMIranian official denies Iran launched missiles toward UAE

The spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry is denying claims that Iran launched missiles at the United Arab Emirates. "The Foreign Ministry spokesman completely rejected the UAE's claim that Iran launched a missile at the country, expressing regret over the accusations against the Islamic Republic of Iran, and considered this behavior to be contrary to the principle of good neighborliness and disruptive to ongoing efforts to strengthen trust between regional countries and prevent the escalation of insecurity in the region," the spokesman said in a readout posted on Iranian state media FARS. Earlier, UAE officials said air defenses detected two ballistic missiles approaching from Iran that were "targeting maritime navigation," which fell into the sea.

Aug 18, 2:19 PMUAE detects 2 Iranian missiles, Ministry of Defense says

Air defenses detected two Iranian missiles fired toward the United Arab Emirates Tuesday, both of which fell into the water off the coast of the UAE, in its territorial waters, according to a statement from the UAE Ministry of Defense.This appears to be the first time Iran has fired missiles directly at the UAE in several months.Iranian projectiles targeted UAE ships in the Strait of Hormuz last week.

Aug 18, 11:29 AMDubai residents told to seek shelter amid missile threats

Residents in Dubai have been told to seek shelter after UAE air defense systems detected a missile threat targeting the county. "Please remain in a safe location and follow warnings and updates issued through official channels," the National Emergency Crisis and Disaster Management Authority of the UAE said Tuesday.

Advertisement

Aug 18, 10:39 AMKushner says Iran not showing interest in a deal that 'makes sense for us'

Special Envoy Jared Kushner said Iran is "not showing any interest" in making a deal that makes sense for the U.S., but noted that dialogue between the two countries is more "robust" than ever.

Aug 18, 10:08 AMTrump says no talks are scheduled with Iran

Aug 18, 8:32 AMIran official says Trump's Strait of Hormuz map is 'delusion'

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi responded to President Donald Trump's posting of a map labeling the Strait of Hormuz as a U.S. territory by saying the image amounted to a "delusion.""Just as Trump correctly wrote the name of the eternal Persian Gulf, his delusion regarding the Strait of Hormuz will soon either be corrected, or we will correct the delusions of this delusional man," Gharibabadi wrote in a post on his X account on Tuesday.-ABC News' Somayeh Malekian

Aug 18, 7:49 AMTrump posts map labeling Strait of Hormuz 'new’ US territory

President Donald Trump posted an image of a map on social media Tuesday that labeled the Strait of Hormuz a "new" U.S. territory.Trump's post -- which was presented without additional comment -- came after he said last week that he would "pretty soon" be "declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States."-ABC News' Nicholas Kerr

Aug 18, 6:20 AMStrait of Hormuz to be closed until US accepts Iran's demands, Ghalibaf says

Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who led Tehran's negotiating team in peace talks with the U.S., told the Iranian parliament on Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. accepts Tehran's demands."The Strait of Hormuz will not open until the blockade is lifted, frozen assets are released, the oil embargo is lifted and threats and military operations on all fronts end, as well as other terms of the memorandum," Ghalibaf said, as quoted by the semi-official Mehr News Agency.Ghalibaf was referring to the Memorandum of Understanding signed by the combatants in June, which has thus far failed to produce a full peace settlement.-ABC News' Joe Simonetti

Aug 18, 3:35 AMShip attacked in Strait of Hormuz, UKMTO says, with casualty reported

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Organization (UKMTO) Centre said in an alert on Tuesday that it received a report of a vessel being struck by an "unknown projectile" while transiting the Strait of Hormuz."The impact caused damage to the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty. The remaining crew are currently being assisted by the Omani Coast Guard," the alert read.

Click here to read the rest of the blog.

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Breaking”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.